Saturday, May 30, 2015

Using what you got

I often improvise in the kitchen when there is not enough time to actually plan a menu. I like doing this though because it forces me to use items that perhaps have been sitting there without purpose while being creative. A lot of people are afraid to not follow recipes and there is nothing wrong with that. If you have never taken the plunge in the kitchen it can truly be intimidating but with a few basic skills anything is possible. Cooking is about love, connecting with people, enjoying the simple things in life and it is simply amazing to be able to make something that others absolutely can't get enough of.

Some basic kitchen knowledge includes things like learning about all the different gadgets, ingredients and important items like how to work the oven, a blender and your most important tool- the knife. Flavor combinations are a little more complicated but with time that too can get easy and fun to play around with. Following recipes is a good idea when you are starting out, especially if you are going to be brave and bake (baking is the one thing that you should always follow measurements). Overall, I believe the key is to have fun.

Just yesterday I was at a BBQ and someone asked me why I do not do food as my full time job. I would be rich if I had a dollar for every time someone asked me that same question. While the story behind why I had to change professions is interesting, there is not much to be said except that "life happens." Today my profession is very rewarding and what I do with food is for fun and with love.


With that in mind, a recipe like this one is simple, refreshing and quick to make. You can change the type of pasta depending on what you have in your pantry. Same goes with pretty much all the ingredients and that is the best part of this dish.




What you need:
3 Cups of farfalle pasta, cooked, cooled
4 Oz of your favorite sliced ham, chopped
1 Can of black beans, rinsed
1 Can chickpeas, rinsed
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 medium mango, chopped
1/2 Cup of purple onion, chopped
2 Tbsp of fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 Cup of your favorite dressing. (Choose something light like a lime vinaigrette)

How to make:
Combine everything... and that is it!

~Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment